There are several reasons why patients might require the generation of healthy new gum tissue. Sometimes, gum grafting is needed to address the recession of the gums. In other instances, this procedure can be a remedy for gum sensitivity and a way to help patients prepare for orthodontic treatment.
What is Gum Grafting Used For?
Gum grafting is a surgical technique in which a small amount of tissue is harvested from a donor site (typically the roof of your mouth), then transplanted to an area that either lacks gum tissue or where the current gum tissue is too thin. The gum grafting process triggers the body’s built-in healing processes, leading to the further development of gum tissue and healthy blood flow to that tissue.
There are several reasons why patients might require gum grafting:
- Thin, flimsy gum tissue can cause sensitivity and pain. Gum grafting can alleviate these problems.
- Gum grafting can reverse the effects of gum recession, providing both functional and aesthetic restoration.
- Some patients simply do not like the aesthetics of their smile, fearing their teeth appear too long or their gums are too small. Gum grafting might be the solution.
What are the Advantages of Gum Grafting?
The role of gum tissue is to provide protection and support for the tooth and its roots. Gum disease and gum recession can cause tiny pockets to develop between the teeth and the gums. Bacteria and food particles can accumulate in these pockets, significantly reducing the risk of infection.
Gum grafting can restore the gum tissue to its natural position. Some benefits of gum grafting include:
- Gum grafting reinforces existing gum tissue, strengthening it around the tooth.
- A gum graft can also prevent the condition of the gums from worsening.
- Gum grafting can provide cosmetic effects, improving the appearance of the smile.
- Receiving a gum graft can reduce the risk of oral sensitivity.
What Can I Expect from Gum Grafting Treatment?
The process begins with a consultation. During this initial appointment, your doctor will carefully examine your teeth and gums, assessing your need for treatment. Additionally, your doctor will answer your questions and go over the options for sedation.
Burbank Periodontics provides several sedation options, including IV and oral sedation, to ensure your procedure is as comfortable as possible. Once you are sedated, our doctors will employ a method of microsurgery, using connective tissue grafting. This microsurgery is the gold-standard method of gum grafting, offering the most aesthetically pleasing results with the least amount of invasion.
Following the procedure, you can anticipate some mild discomfort, particularly at the roof of your mouth. Our doctors are happy to discuss the recovery process with you and recommend options for maintaining comfort as you rest and heal from the procedure.
Read Our Reviews
You’re in Good Hands with Burbank Periodontics
Gum grafting is a very safe, commonplace oral surgery procedure, and it can be an effective way to restore your healthy, confident smile. At Burbank Periodontics, we have a wealth of experience performing gum grafts, using state-of-the-art methods, and always putting patient comfort first.
Schedule a consultation by contacting us in Burbank, CA at (818) 842-6162.