Choosing a periodontist for your dental implant procedure can help you receive safe, effective, predictable care. At Burbank Periodontics in Burbank, California, our highly credentialed specialists have extensive training and experience in placing single implants, multiple implants, and entire arches of replacement teeth for cases of varying complexity.
Why Choose a Periodontist for Dental Implants?
A periodontist is a dentist specializing in gum and bone health and dental implant placement. Periodontists complete three years of post-graduate specialty training to help them become knowledgeable in dental implant surgery and gum and bone procedures. Successful dental implants require healthy gum tissue and bone, and periodontists have extensive knowledge of both.
When Can You Benefit from a Periodontist’s Skill?
You can benefit from a periodontist’s skill with dental implants whether you have optimum oral health or if any of these situations apply to you:
- You have limited jawbone volume
- Your gums recede
- You have gum disease
- You require sinus augmentation
- You need multiple dental implants
- You have peri-implantitis
- You require careful monitoring
Limited Jawbone Volume
Dental implants require enough quality bone volume to support and integrate with the implants. If your bone density is low, a periodontist can identify its cause and how to treat it. At times, bone grafting may not be enough. Causes of shallow bone may include:
- Periodontal disease
- Missing teeth
- Dentures that add pressure to the bone and accelerate shrinkage
- Developmental defects
Healthy gum tissue fits snugly around dental implants. Receding gums expose dental implants and increase the risk of infection and dental implant failure. If your gums recede, a periodontist will address the concern before dental implant surgery. A gingival (gum) graft corrects gum recession includes these steps:
- Harvest soft tissue from the roof of your mouth or obtain it from a tissue bank
- Transfer the tissue to the area around the dental implant sites
- Stitch the gums into place
You can feel confident in a gum graft procedure from a Burbank Periodontics doctor specializing in gum health and surgeries.
Gum Disease Treatment
Dentists often refer periodontitis (advanced gum disease) cases to a specialist. Although one of our doctors will place dental implants in your jawbone, your implants require healthy gum tissue for additional support. After a comprehensive evaluation, a periodontist will do the following:
- Classify the stage of gum disease from initial to severe
- Grade the gum disease in terms of its progression and anticipated response to treatment
- Develop a treatment plan to remove plaque and tartar below the gumline and thoroughly clean and smooth your tooth roots to prevent further tooth loss
After your gums are healthy and stable, one of our periodontists can plan your dental implant procedure.
Before placing a dental implant in your upper back jaw near the sinus, one of our periodontists must perform sinus augmentation to accomplish the following:
- Raise the sinus floor
- Add grafting material
- Create space between the dental implant and the sinus
A sinus augmentation is a delicate procedure, but you can get safe, predictable results from one of our doctors at Burbank Periodontics.
Multiple Dental Implants
Each dental implant requires careful planning and precise placement. A periodontist understands how to integrate multiple dental implant placements with other procedures that prepare your gums and bone for healthy outcomes. One of our doctors will do the following:
- Evaluate the bone quality and volume for each dental implant site
- Determine whether you have enough gum tissue for each implant
- Recommend any procedures required to prepare each dental implant for long-term survival
Peri-implantitis causes gum inflammation around dental implants and can include bone deterioration. A July 2020 article on peri-implantitis risk factors lists the following:
- Previous periodontal disease
- A compromised immune system
- Inadequate oral hygiene
- Overloaded dental implants
- Smoking, vaping, and water pipe, cannabis, and tobacco use
- Para-functional habits, such as teeth grinding or nail biting
If you have dental implants and suspect you are experiencing a peri implantitis or another complication, Burbank Periodontics can help. After a thorough exam, one of our doctors can identify the source of your concerns and recommend treatment.
Whether you need precise monitoring after a preliminary procedure or a challenging dental implant case, one of our Burbank doctors will be attentive to the area of gum or bone grafts, periodontal disease treatment, or dental implant surgical sites. Their specialized training and Burbank Periodontics’ advanced technology help them assess, diagnose, and treat you accurately.
Are You a Candidate for Dental Implants?
After an exam and 3-D CT scan, one of our doctors will explain whether you are a candidate for dental implants. Most people qualify if the following is true:
- You have good physical and oral health.
- Your jawbone volume can support dental implants.
- Your gums are healthy and disease free.
If any factors are preventing you from qualifying for dental implants, one of our doctors can explain whether a treatment plan can restore your oral health and help you reach your goal.
Consult with a Burbank Periodontist for Dental Implants
If you are interested in dental implants, consult with one of our highly credentialed doctors at Burbank Periodontics. You will experience a high standard of care, compassion, and clinical excellence. Visit our dental implant gallery to see results from actual patients.